The Neurology Service has the most modern diagnostic technologies and the most advanced therapeutic possibilities at its disposal. It is made up of neurologists, neurophysiologists, clinical psychologists, neuropsychologists, physiotherapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists and clinic aides specialised in various neurophysiological techniques.
Our team is highly regarded for its experience and results in severe headaches, intellectual impairment, epilepsy, sleep disorders, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, neuro-ophthalmology and child neurology.
We offer leading Neuro-rehabilitation service in Spain, where specialised staff can care for all kinds of acute and chronic neurological diseases, in order to achieve the best possible physical, cognitive and emotional autonomy, favouring independence for daily life activities and social inclusion, where possible.
The team of neurologists in the Clinical Neurology Unit at Hospital Ruber Internacional diagnoses and treats patients with any kind of neurological disease that may affect the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves or muscles.
We care for patients with different types of neurological disorders, including headaches, dizziness, vertigo, loss of consciousness, sleep disorders, peripheral neuropathies, tumours, complications derived from head and spinal trauma, language, memory, learning and behaviour disorders.
We have special experience studying cases that are difficult to diagnose (Neurological Second Opinions), and are considered national and international leaders in this field.
Each patient is studied during the consultation, including their detailed clinical history and a full neurological examination:
- The information obtained during this first meeting can allow us to make a precise diagnosis and, if necessary, decide on the most appropriate treatment.
- In other cases, a diagnosis plan including diagnostic tests may be necessary. These studies are usually performed on an outpatient basis.
Our Service Office coordinates these studies and consultations, adapting them to the patient's needs, where possible.
In cases where it is necessary or convenient for the patient to be admitted, medical care and testing will quickly be made available and the medical appointments will be scheduled in liaison to reach a diagnosis and begin the appropriate treatment as soon as possible.
Our Epilepsy Unit is a national and international leader when it comes to the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of children and adults with epilepsy. At our centre we look for the most suitable solution for each patient, since epilepsy is a disease where protocols are not able to solve all clinical situations.
We have made diagnoses through video-EEG monitoring, high-definition imaging techniques, metabolic and genetic studies.
We are a centre with high activity in epilepsy surgery through advanced techniques, such as identifying the epileptic focus with deep electrodes (stereo-EEG or stereo-electroencephalogram), thermocoagulation and gamma surgery with Leksell Gamma Knife.
We offer surgical treatment with good prospects, thanks to advanced tecniques in surgery treatment, to adults and children with epilepsy who had been considered unsuitable for surgery.
We receive patients from all Spain and other countries.
We participate in research projects focused on the diagnosis and treatment of refractive epilepsy (not controlled by medication) for development of new drugs and surgical approaches. These colaborations are performed through collaboration with international centres allow us be up to date in solutions for our patients.
What is neuro-rehabilitation?
Neuro-rehabilitation is the medical procedure in charge of the nervous system's recovery after an injury (vascular, traumatic, infectious, metabolic or another type). It aims to minimise and compensate functional changes and achieve the highest level of autonomy. Neuro-rehabilitation is based on the scientific evidence available regarding the effectiveness of treatments.
Who we are
A multidisciplinary team (neurologist, physiotherapists, occupational therapist, speech therapist and neuropsychologist), specialised in the rehabilitation of neurological disorders, aiming to offer a personalised, quality treatment.
What we care for
Acquired brain damage (stroke, traumatic brain injury, brain tumours, hypoxic encephalopathy)
Neurodegenerative diseases (Parkinson's, ALS)
Dementia and insanity
Neuromuscular disorders (myopathies, peripheral neuropathies)
Spine pathology (pre/post-surgery)
Functional movement disorders
What we offer
- A personalised, comprehensive treatment coordinated by the neuro-rehabilitation team, that aims to improve the person's functional capacity and autonomy.
- The treatment programme is periodically assessed to determine the patient's progress and adapt goals.
- To respond to each person's needs, we offer two treatment modalities:
- Inpatient: the patient receives the rehabilitation treatment while being admitted to a hospital that offers all medical-surgical services (neurosurgery, neuro-radiology, traumatology) necessary for acquired brain damage care.
- Outpatient: the treatment is provided at the hospital and/or at home.
- We have special experience in the rehabilitation of acute neurological diseases (strokes and brain haemorrhages, traumatic brain injuries and others) from the initial stages of their appearance. Early rehabilitation is important to ensure the best prognosis. The coordinated availability of all the human and technical resources (neurological, neurosurgical, neurophysiology, neuro-imaging, intensive care) that the patient may require under these circumstances, together with an experienced neuro-rehabilitation unit, allows us to offer patients with acute or sub-acute brain damage the best care. In these circumstances, it is not unusual for patients to require the participation of other specialists (neurologists, neuro-surgeons, neuro-radiologists, intensivists) or facilities (ICU, operating theatres) or techniques (neuro-physiology, neuro-imaging), that may be decisive in their disease's progress.
Physiotherapythe work our physiotherapists perform is aimed at improving motor function by training balance, coordination and gait.
Occupational therapyAimed at increasing the person's autonomy in everyday activities and provide advice regarding technical aids.
NeuropsychologyDiscipline aimed at rehabilitating and stimulating intellectual functions (memory, attention, planning, etc.).
Speech therapyDiscipline that aims to improve swallowing (dysphagia), language (aphasia) and speech (dysarthria) problems.
NeurologyThe entire rehabilitation process is developed under medical supervision. The neurologist coordinates tasks with the neuro-rehabilitation team and clinically monitors the patient's progress. Additionally, we offer techniques such as EMG-guided botulinum toxin injection, for treating spasticity.
The Neuro-rehabilitation Unit is within the Neurology Service, located on the first floor of the Hospital Ruber Internacional. It offers a gym, individual treatment cabin, speech therapy room, occupational therapy room, neuropsychology room and a doctor's office.